On this page, you’ll find everything you need to know about juicing beets to make beetroot juice, including recipes, preparation tips, and nutrition information.
Beetroot juice is a very colorful drink made from juicing raw beets. Making beetroot juice is an easy, fun, messy, and colorful treat you can make in just a couple of minutes with a juicer.
A Simple Beetroot Juice Recipe
Here’s a nice and simple beetroot juicer recipe that balances out taste with a good boost of energy.
- 1 apple
- 1 beetroot
- 1 carrot
Combine all 3 ingredients in a juicer and you’re done!
Thanks to VeganDani for this recipe.
A couple suggestions: To make your beetroot juice drink sweeter, use red or yellow apples. For additional sweetness, you may also add ginger. For a different texture, add crushed ice after juicing.
Also: see carrot juicer.
Tips and Tricks for Making Beetroot Juice
- Once you start slicing the beets, anything they touch will leave a purple smudge. 🙂 To solve this problem, lay down paper towels or newspapers around the area in which you are working before you start. Your hands will also get purple, but this can be washed off easily with soap and water.
- To prepare beets for juicing, cut off the tough outer layer of skin and then slice the beet into smaller, manageable slices that will fit into your juicer.
- To maximize the nutritional value, buy organic and make organic beetroot juice.
- Make beetroot juice taste better by sweetening it with ginger, apple, clementine, and other fruits.
- Beets also mix well with the following vegetables: carrots, cucumber.
Beets contain nutrients known to contribute to eye health and have anti inflammation, anti-cancer, digestive health, and detox properties. A serving provides a delicious fat free source of food high in fiber, iron, and Vitamin C.
Beetroot Nutritional Label
1 cup of raw chopped beets includes:
carbs: 13 grams
fiber: 4 grams
sugars: 9 grams
protein: 2 grams
Vitamin A: 1%
Vitamin C: 11%
A Note on Beetroot Juice Side Effects
The strong purple coloring of beets will effect the color of stool. For a small percentage of persons (roughly 10% -15% according to WHF – source 1), urine will take on a red color. This is known as beeturia. The presence of beeturia may indicate an iron deficiency.
Another purported side effect is that drinking beetroot juice increases sexual stamina.
1 Worlds Healthiest Foods
Beetroot Juice Powder
What about beetroot powder? Well, it’s not as good as juicing raw beets and drinking them right then and there =) but if you’re interested in a powder, here’s a good one..
Beetroot Juice RElated Videos
Video 1: What Health Food – Carrot, Celery, and Beet Juice
What do YOU think? Please share your story with beet juice below.
A couple of questions or topics we’d love to hear from you on include:
What’s your favorite way to juice beets?
What tricks do you have for not getting everything purple when preparing beets?
Have you ever tested the idea that drinking beet juice will increase sexual stamina, and if so, what were the results?